

This week marked the beginning of the Glasgow Film Festival, however despite anticipating having lots of time to enjoy it, a surprise hand-in for art school has meant I have had to miss most of it. Despite this, I did cheekly make time for the 'Radio Magnetic: Independant images from the independant music scene in Glasgow'. The videos shown spanned a thirty year period of the Glasgow music scene, starting with the Orange Juice classic 'Rip it up and start again'; the minute I heard the lovely Malcolm Ross guitar riff, I knew something beautiful was going to happen. Another of my favourites was to play soon after with The Pastel's 'Crawl Baby', I adore this video for a number of reasons but the main one is that it made the walk to jury serivice during the summer that bit sunnier as the video was filmed on the clyde suspension bridge. Those to follow did not fail to impress, one particular was The Wake's 'Talk About the Past', not being totally farmiliar of this band I was ashamed to discover that they were signed to the wonderfully twee, Sarah Records; a record label I thought I knew well. Disgraced of my ignorance I shall now listen to them constantly. Other gems included: Lloyd Cole's 'Brand New Friend', Arab Strap's 'Love Detective' and the lovely 'Look after your wife' by Lord Cut Glass. One that really caught me out was Sister Vanilla's 'Can't Stop the Rock'. Although only released in 2005 it has played a significant role in my love of music, I distinctly remember buying this single at Avalanche records and running to catch the next train home so that I could listen to it. This also propelled me to start listening to the Jesus and Mary Chain as it marked the reunion of William and Jim Reid, having William Reid as Producer and Jim Reid singing on the B-side 'Song For a Secret' . The videos were finally summed up by the wonderful and quite contrasting, inclusion of Hudson Mohawke's 'Joy Fantastic' which, much to my surprise, included the enchanting dancing of my dear friend Chalotte Hess. Overall, this was a wonderful compilation of Glasgow favourites. These surprising twee delights and catchy tunes have reminded me that Glasgow really has produced some musical greats.

No comments:
Post a Comment